The germ is the “heart” of the cereal kernel, the embryo of the seed. Wheat germ is often a by-product of the milling that produces refined grain products.Wheat germ is one of the most nutritional products available. In fact, wheat germ contains 23 nutrients, and has more nutrients per ounce than any other vegetable or grain.
- Wheat germ is very high in protein. It contains around 28 percent protein and has more protein than can be found in most meat products. The human body needs protein in order to repair tissue damage and to help minerals and nutrients reach our cells.
- Wheat Germ always has provided an impressive bundle of nutrients including vitamin E, folate, phosphorus, thiamin(B1), riboflavin(B2),niacin(B3),zinc and magnesium,vitamin A etc.It contains more potassium and iron than any other food source.Vitamins B1 and B3 are very important to maintain energy levels and maintain healthy muscles, organs, hair and skin.
- Wheat germ is a nutrition standout. It’s one of the best sources of folic acid. That’s good news, since it’s recommended that all women of childbearing age get sufficient amounts of this nutrient to prevent neural-tube birth defects.
- Folic acid reduces a compound in your body called homocysteine. Lower levels of homocysteine have been linked to reducing the risk of heart disease, osteoporosis bone fractures, and dementia.
- Another important vitamin found in wheat germ is vitamin E. Vitamin E is a very important antioxidant. It is helpful in preventing the body’s aging process and also to prevent heart disease. Vitamin E also helps to prevent blood clots and is needed to strengthen the body’s immune system.
- Wheat germ also contains a phytonutrient called L-ergothioneine, which is a powerful antioxidant that is not destroyed by cooking.
- The fiber boost you get from wheat germ is phenomenal hence gives the benefit of providing fibre in a diet.
- Wheat germ is fat-fighting and can be part of any wieght loss program.
- Wheat germ has been found to be very beneficial in order to keep the body in tip top condition. Wheat germ, due to its high concentration of complex carbohydrates and protein aids in gaining muscle.
- It can be used by athletes in their diet to improve cardiovascular function and improve endurance levels. Body builders can also add wheat germ to their diets in order to bulk up and maintain the nutritional levels they need to perform.
Wheat germ oil is extracted from the germ of the wheat kernel.Wheat germ oil is also very high in Vitamin E and has the highest content of Vitamin E of any food that does not undergo prior preparation or vitamin fortification.
It is available in many super markets.It can be added in the breakfast cereals or porridges.It can also be added in Pre-exercise drinks or in smoothies.It can also be added to our bed time glass of warm milk which can help us to sleep better.