A query from a faithful subscriber.
I am a male of 33 years of age,recently diagnosed with Grade 1 fatty liver. How can I get rid of this problem? Besides I am gaining weight around the mid section. Kindly advise me the treatment and food I should follow.
Fatty liver is a common problem seen in many urban parts of India. Most of the time it goes untreated or doctors fail to advise on this condition. This does not produce any visible symptoms , but can put you at the risk of liver inflammation which ultimately can lead to jaundice( hepatitis), liver failure and liver cancer. Initially it stays as a benign condition and is really harmless. But it can progress to a potential slow killer.
Fatty liver Commonly seen in overweight persons and mostly above the ages of 30 and any liver problems are associated with alcohol. But Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease(NAFLD) is commonly seen rather than the Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. So non alcohol drinkers too can get afflicted.
In this condition, the liver consists of excess of fat and the healthy tissues are replaced by unhealthy fats. This makes the liver larger and heavier. This can possibly lead to gall stones.
What can be the various causes for a person to have fatty liver?
- Being Overweight or obese especially in the abdominal area
- Poor diet- high sugar intake, high fat intake
- Elevated cholesterol levels and triglycerides in the blood
- If suffering from metabolic syndrome
- Diabetic for over a long period of time and taking medications for the same
Now the question arises whether is it possible to fatty liver?
Yes, it is definitely possible to reverse the condition of fatty liver if the following tips are followed.
- Reduce the intake of refined carbohydrates in your diet such as white bread, white rice, pasta, noodles, cakes, biscuits, desserts, soft drinks, sweetened fruit juices and also that of table sugar. Avoid breakfast cereals too.
- Increase the amount of fruits and vegetables in the diet.
- Eat whole grains such as brown rice, whole wheat products, oats, ragi, bajra, jowar etc and Pulses and legumes.
- Avoid all kinds of fried food, processed food, high fat foods in general all junk food.
- Avoid red meats such as mutton, beef, pork and opt for fat trimmed meats and white meats such as fish, chicken, turkey. Avoid processed meat or cured meats.
- Switch over to low fat milk products from full cream or full fat milk products.
- Avoid margarine, mayonnaise as much as possible.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners as well. They do not help in the long term.
- Use oils which provided monounsaturated fatty acids.
- Control diabetes with diet, medications and exercise.
- Keep your cholesterol levels in check and reduce triglycerides in the blood.
- Avoid alcohol as much as possible.
Exercise daily to reduce weight and to keep weight in check. Reduce the abdominal fat content by eating smaller meals and by exercising daily by walking, jogging and also bu incorporating yoga in your diet.