I meet a lot of young moms and dads who are ‘trying to lose weight, but aren’t successful’ some reasons being lack of time, lack of sleep, stress, low energy levels, professional demands. My answer to this is “Do not give up”.
How do we deal with a situation like this?
- Stop eating kids snacks please!- Well they are for kids, and its not meant for you and stress gives you no license to stuff it into your mouth.
- Keep junk out of the pantry- Keep healthy foods around for kids too.
- Get moving with the kids- Lazy parents equals to lazy kids!!! Yes its genetic(according to me). If you are active, your kids automatically follow your footsteps. Plan family activities which involves play, not food joint hopping. My mom always exercised, so I too exercise despite being a new mom(toddler on the tow). Find a sitter, take help from family and like minded friends, send the kids to any activity classes and you can zoom off to yours.
- Exercise when kids go to school- Most of the gyms have always planned to recruit moms, so flexible timings for ladies are around. Make good use of such timings. Exercising at home too is a superb option. But I vote for getting out of the house. The dads can workout once the kids sleep off.
- Teach Kids to eat healthy- So you too have to cook and eat healthy.
- Tame the party invites- Please eat and attend, rather than attend and eat. Party snacks especially birthday snacks are high in sugar and fat.
- Eat and feed the kids before you go mall hopping- going on an empty stomach to the mall with a food court is gastronomically disastrous. Yes, no need to deprive the kids, but you can reduce the quantity and trim the choices.
So how are you dealing with weight loss after having kids? Did you change your eating habits?