Many newly weds gain weight, especially women. Men may lose weight if wives are amateur cooks. Women end up eating larger portions or male sized portions. Men may encourage women to finish the rest of the remaining food. Now that is not necessary. In India, women start polishing off all the tidbits from the plates from the husbands’ and childrens’ plate. This can add on to extra calories, hence can result in weight gain.
I feel it is sometimes unfair, that men can eat more portions than women and still not gain weight and can inhale junk food with out any fear. So trying to blame them, will not help. Rather women should take it in their hands. Lets see how…
- Request him to bring less junk home. Great for both of you or just ask him to keep it out of your sight.
- Stop matching his portion sizes. When eating at home, serve yourself smaller portions, hence always cook a little lesser than necessary, but enough to cover his portions and and your small portion. This will prevent in wastage of food plus will help to curb the polishing off the remaining by you.
- While eating out, order smaller portion sizes such as half portions or smaller plates or bowls or scoops. Leave it to him to have the large portions. If they give you large portions, eat only how much you need. If you eat less or more from the standard portions, the check remains the same.
- Fill up before moving to the main course. I recommend salads and clear soups.
- Follow healthy cooking practices. Go for low fat works and trim fat in meats. Cut down the oil used for cooking. He will for sure appreciate the changes.
- Do not guzzle alcohol like a man. It will lead to unnecessary weight gain.
- Share meals when you out and eat very slow. Men tend to eat faster than women, hence they finish sooner and leave very little for you to nibble.
- Always share desserts and you should take a few bites and then watch him finish the rest.
- Lastly, exercise together. He will see your efforts and will help you to keep up with your efforts.