Infertility has become a rampant problem after obesity and other. Several patients referred to me by obstetricians and gynecologists are those undergoing treatment for infertility. Recent studies show that poor diet and lifestyles have a very high impact on infertility.Infertility can be a troublesome and upsetting experience.
Reasons for infertility:
- Poor eating habits resulting in obesity/ overweight or even underweight conditions.
- Hyperthyroidism and poly cystic ovarian diseases which show that hormones definitely have an influence on decreasing charges of infertility.
- Poor sleep-wake habits or you can say “corporate lifestyle” which includes excessive caffeine intake, late nights, cafeteria foods etc
- Lack of or no exercise.
- Alcohol consumption and cigarette smoking
How can we boost fertility?
- Lose weight- Conceiving is a major problem if the body fat percentage is high. This disrupts the hormonal balance as oestrogen imbalance can affect fertility. Now you know why the gyno says “lose weight”. Odds are higher if both the partners are overweight. Males can have lower testosterone levels affecting fertility again. Hence planning couple exercise routines and diet plans can be motivational.
- Quit alcohol intake and smoking- Alcohol can cause fat deposition in the abdomen again messing with the hormone levels. So a bottle of wine will never help to heat up things. Alcohol intake and smoking can cause the production of free radicals thereby disrupting fertility.
- Exercise please- exercising can help to reduce fat and normalize hormones.
- Followup with the treatment- Regular check ups and treatments should be followed strictly.
Diet for boosting fertility:
- Get fishy- Yes, fish helps as it is rich in good fats boosting sperm motility and providing antioxidants( the good guys) to remove the free radicals(the bad guys). The omega 3 fats help in boosting fertility. Vegetarians can have flaxseed powder 1-2 tsp/day to meet their omega 3 fatty acid intake. Fish oil capsules derived from oily fish such as salmon, sardines too can be used.
- Cut down fats- Eating healthy fats from nuts such as walnuts and almonds, seeds such flax and cutting down transfats and saturated fats from baked and fried foods should be beneficial.
- Include food sources high in zinc include beans such as rajma, moong; nuts, whole grains, fortified breakfast cereals and dairy products to boost male fertility.
- Selenium too is an important mineral which prevents birth defects and miscarriages. Sources are fish, mushrooms,nuts, seeds such as flaxseeds, sunflower, chia, sesame etc.
- Eat all the bright coloured fruits and vegetables.
- Eat whole grains such whole wheat breads, oats, brown rice etc to get the boost for B group vitamins. Strictly avoid maida and other refined foods. Bye Bye to junk foods. Refined foods can spike insulin levels and cause hormonal imbalances which in turn cause infertility.
- Eat foods rich in folic acid such as green leafy vegetables, citrus foods etc. Folic acid supplements too can be beneficial.
- Cooking with spices such as cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, garlic etc can boost your antioxidant status.
- Eat foods rich in beta carotene and vitamin A such as green, yellow,red fruits and vegetables and milk.
- Add vitamin C rich foods such as coloured capsicum, citrus fruits such as orange, sweet lime,lemon etc
- Use Vitamin E fortified oils for cooking. 3-4 tsp will be enough.
- Get sun exposure to improve your vitamin D content in the body.
- Add a multivitamin to meet all your daily requirements.
All the more, be positive and relax. Eating healthy, maintaining a good weight and exercising can help the storks to fasten the deliveries…