Bottle gourd- Guard against diseases

Lauki, dudhi or bottle gourd holds pride of place in the Indian Ayurvedic medical system. Here is why our ancestors included it in their regular diet, and why it still makes sense to do so.

Lauki is 96.1% water, so is light on the stomach and aids digestion. A 100 gm serving of lauki contains just twelve calories and is ideal if you are watching your weight.

Health benefits of lauki

• Cooked lauki is cooling, calming and acts as diuretic. It makes you relax after eating. But don’t eat the vegetable raw as it can harm the stomach and intestines.
  • It plays a very important role in treating urinary disorders. Prepare a glass of fresh juice by grating lauki and then mixing it with limejuice. Drink it once a day to combat the burning sensation caused by the high acidity of urine. It can be had along with sulpha drugs to treat urinary infection as it acts as an alkaline diuretic.
  • Lauki juice is an excellent remedy for excessive thirst caused by diarrhea, over consumption of fatty or fried foods, and diabetes. Drink a glass of this juice with a little salt added to it to treat this condition.
  • A glass of lauki juice with a little salt added to it prevents excessive loss of sodium, satiating thirst and keeping you refreshed in summer.

If you are on a low calorie diet, suffering from digestive problems, are diabetic or convalescing, then lauki is must for you as it is easily digestible and low in calories.

You May also like to read

Sanjana Shenoy

About Sanjana Shenoy

A dietitian from Mangalore, India. A post graduate diploma holder in “Dietetics” and a university topper from Welcomgroup School of Hotel Administration from the prestigious Manipal University. At present working as a Dietitian for the Manipal Group of Hospitals namely KMC hospital Mangalore, India. Consultant for corporates like Infosys and others, conducting talks and presentations for various associations and local television shows.

Subcribe to Nutrihealth

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

97 Responses to Bottle gourd- Guard against diseases

1. Veronica Dsouza November 24, 2008 at 7:29 pm #

I have read the above on ‘lauki’ juice. And I have a question.
    If the juice is taken from the ‘lauki’ and drunk first thing in the morning, is it harmful? Because, you say that ‘raw’ lauki should not be eaten, what about the juice? Secondly, can it taken on a daily basis? How much is safe?

2. Sanjana Shenoy
    Sanjana - Dietitian November 25, 2008 at 8:55 am #

It can be had raw in limited quantities. 50 ml-100ml is good enough and it can be diluted. Juicing always changes the chemical composition hence its juice is safer to be had.

3. Pannalal Ash February 12, 2009 at 12:33 pm #

Is it true that bottle guard juice can clean the deposited lipids/cholestrol in the arteries/veins?

4. Sanjana Shenoy
    Sanjana - Dietitian February 12, 2009 at 1:11 pm #

Not exactly…the fiber in bottle gourd is beneficial in preventing lipid deposits. Fiber is the key to reduce plaque formation.

5. Pannalal Ash February 13, 2009 at 9:56 am #

Thank you for the reply.

6. jyotsna narayan March 11, 2009 at 2:42 pm #

hi.. i have started drinking bottle gourd juice .. first thing in the morning.. i mix the bottle gourd with a little luke warm water and churn and then filter and have the juice… is this beneficial for weight loss or am i doing it the wrong way.. please let me know the right way if i am wrong..

thanks

7. Sanjana Shenoy
    Sanjana - Dietitian March 12, 2009 at 11:31 am #

Bottle gourd juice cannot burn fat but will help you to lose weight as it helps to put down calories. It is quite safe to include in your daily routine. Bottle gourd juice is low on calories and provides many vitamins and minerals which help in the better digestion of food. Do continue to drink it.

8. Swathi March 30, 2009 at 10:59 pm #

Hi,

I heard that bottle gourd juice helps in reducing weight . can we take it in early morning before walk , n also can u tel me the quantity of the juice to be taken and also how to prepare it , can we add little salt to the juice .can u also pls tel know me how much weight can be reduced in a month if we take the juice on daily basis.

9. Sanjana Shenoy
    Sanjana - Dietitian March 31, 2009 at 10:59 am #

Bottle gourd does not burn off fat. You need to look into your total caloric intake to lose weight. It is the fiber present in bottle gourd or any other vegetable juice for that matter which helps. If you have a glass of 150-200ml is sufficient. Do not remove all the fiber and add just a pinch of salt. I cannot tell you how much of weight can be lost as I said before weight loss can be triggered only by a low calorie diet and adequate exercise. Bottle gourd juice is just a part of the diet that will help you to lose weight, but not the only source that can make you lose weight.

10. Amit Jain April 4, 2009 at 6:02 pm #

Hi,

I read all above FAQs its realy helpful, please make it clear when we have to take Lauki juice Early Morning (Empy Stomach) or any time in a day.

Please tell me about more benifits.

11. prasad April 27, 2009 at 2:51 pm #

hi,
    i wanted to have this bottle gourd juice. bt, I’m new to it, i mean i don’t know how to prepare it & have it? so, would u please let me clear my doubts.

thakning you…

Prasad…..

12. Sanjana Shenoy
    Sanjana - Dietitian April 28, 2009 at 9:12 am #

It is very easy to make. You will need to remove the peel and cut the vegetable and add into a juicer or blender and strain.

13. eve May 6, 2009 at 3:08 pm #

I am Obese, with chronic psoriasis and wish to have natural detoxification, can lauki juice and ash gourd juice help for that. Can curry leaves be added to it or do you have suggestion.

14. Sanjana Shenoy
    Sanjana - Dietitian May 7, 2009 at 10:22 am #

You need to look into your diet. Detoxification is not the only cure. These juices can help as they provide a lot of nutrients. But you need to look into the triggers which can cause psoriasis. Junk food, soft drinks like coke, spices,oily food and few conditions worsen with intake of vitamin C, although not always true. Drink a lot of water and zinc supplements and multivitamins under a doctors supervision. Exercise regularly to lose weight and maintain a healthy diet.

15. aman June 17, 2009 at 12:27 pm #

hi, i m research scholar and working on th effect of Bottle gourd (LS)juice on myocardial infarction.is there any report thet BG have antioxidant activity, if yes, please tell me the ref.
    thanking you

16. Sanjana Shenoy
    Sanjana - Dietitian June 17, 2009 at 1:29 pm #

Hi, I do not have any report pertaining to anti oxidant activity of bottle gourd. Bottle gourd does not contain the vitamins such as Vitamin A,C and E which are the main antioxidants. Hence it is not rich in antioxidants.

17. Rajan August 13, 2009 at 10:20 pm #

I have just recovered from my third acute pancreatitis attack (in one year). my doctor says it is idioptathic and no specific cause for it. what kind of food i shoud ear or should avoid? i am a vegetarian. Thanks.

18. Sanjana Shenoy
    Sanjana - Dietitian August 14, 2009 at 11:05 am #

A post on pancreatitis coming soon…..

19. Rajan August 14, 2009 at 12:45 pm #

Thank you very much…..

20. Suresh madav August 23, 2009 at 9:38 am #

hello….
    i am an using bottle gourd juice for the purpose of heart blockage for i was detected with the same couple of years ago…i have been doing with this juice since a month now and i am feeling that it takes huge time to adjust to it…whats the appropriate intake of the juice and the timings to be taken soo…i wanted to ask if the juice works for the purpose i am in…can u suggest me any other such diet for i want to avoid the operation as far as possible…i sometimes feel excessive problem with chest pain…but want to go with what nature has given us…i am taking all measures possible for this….

21. SHAJI THOMAS August 24, 2009 at 10:09 pm #

Bottle guard juice really works in loss of weight considerably. I could loss weight by 7 KGs in two months.

22. arun August 31, 2009 at 5:53 pm #

how to preapre this juice

23. m.brahmishtan September 1, 2009 at 10:50 am #

can u pl tel me on medical terms if the bottle gourd juice can cure diabetics?

24. Sanjana Shenoy
    Sanjana - Dietitian September 1, 2009 at 1:17 pm #

No, there is no cure for diabetes and bottle gourd juice can help by providing the fiber it needs for blood sugar control….

25. abhishek yadav September 5, 2009 at 11:08 pm #

can i have the complete composition of the bottle gourd juice…i mean the carbohydrate content and the fibre…

26. Sanjana Shenoy
    Sanjana - Dietitian September 7, 2009 at 9:55 am #

For 100 grams of bottle gourd, It contains 2.6 grams of carbohydrate and 0.6 gram of fiber.

27. sangita September 8, 2009 at 10:00 am #

Plz can u tell me about neem juice.i have acne problem.so if i will take neem juice early morning with empty stmoach.it will be helpful or not.Plz tell me if it have any side effects

28. T.S.SUNDARAM September 17, 2009 at 3:43 pm #

It is said that fresh juice of Dudhi otherwise called as White Guard is as nourishing as Mother’s Milk.It is cooling,laxative, nutritive and delicious.Very refreshing it is and good for the heart.It gives strength and vigour, controls cough and the secretion of bile.All benefits one gets if the juice of white guard is mixed with a little honey and taken as medicine as I am doing at my young age of 84. From T.S.Sundaram. Bangalore.

29. T.S.SUNDARAM September 17, 2009 at 4:07 pm #

TO:- Sanjana,Dietician.

What I write now is not about Dudhi, but something else. This may be transferred to the appropriate site as you desire.

I am a regular consumer of Sprouts along with food and sometimes alone.Mainly Moong seeds and Kabuli Chana. First I wash them thoroughly in water to remove mud, soil, dirt etc., put them in water for soaking. After 8 to 10 hours I change the water,but I do not through that water.Instead,I drink it because it must contain some good nutrients.I have no dislike for drinking that water and it is going on for quite some time. Is there any harm in drinking that water please.? Awaiting your valued advice in the matter. From T.S.Sundaram. Bangalore.

30. Deepesh September 20, 2009 at 10:03 pm #

Hi,

Please let me know if this process of making lauki juice is proper or not

– Peel off the lauki
    – Cut the peeled off lauki into pieces
    – Grate them into small pieces
    – Microwave the grated portion for 2 mins
    – Put the heated grated lauki into a Blender and make juice
    – Take it first in the morning.

Also
    – I have about 500 ml of lauki juice in the morning. Is it ok to have so much ?
    – I dont strain the lauki juice, so sometimes it contains the lauki seeds also in the juice. Is it safe to have the non-strained juice?

Please let me know the details

Thanks,
    Deepesh

31. Sanjana Shenoy
    Sanjana - Dietitian September 23, 2009 at 9:06 am #

Hi Deepesh,

I suggest you should not boil the lauki juice. It kills all the nutrients. 500ml of juice is too much. 200 ml of juice is quite sufficient.

32. nisha September 23, 2009 at 7:51 pm #

Hi, I know that bottle gourd has amazing nutritional value. But my husband hates the vegetable! So I make a vegetable stock by cutting lauki and boiling it on sim for 30 mins. I then use this water/stock for my dals. I don’t use the pulp.
    Is this ok? I hope I’m getting some nutrition from it otherwise the whole effort is a waste.

33. Deepesh September 23, 2009 at 9:40 pm #

But in your post I can see the below comment
    ========================================
    But don’t eat the vegetable raw as it can harm the stomach and intestines.
    ========================================

This is why i thought we should boil it and use it. If I dont boil it will still be raw isnt it ?

Thanks,
    Deepesh

34. dinesh September 24, 2009 at 12:01 pm #

hi, i am in saudi arabia,, and my son has nose bleeding problem,(as doctor says its common here, we live in ac rooms), is this lauki juice is helpful remedy for this problem,

35. RAJESH VYAS October 7, 2009 at 9:41 am #

Madam
    Since last 3 months I am having Lauki juice about 250ml (without fibre) mixed with AMLA juice about 50 ml in morning daily empty stomach & lunch subsequently.
    I have lost about 6-7 Kgs of wt but since last 15 -20 days I am having pain in knees & leg below during squating & then standing.
    Is it the effect of bones getting weak due to lauki juice & should I continue.
    Pl advice.

36. Sanjana Shenoy
    Sanjana - Dietitian October 7, 2009 at 10:24 am #

Rajesh,

Are you living only on juices? Are your drastically reducing your food intake? This weakness could be because you are overdoing your diet and omitting out the needed nutrients. You can send me a mail on your daily food intake. I can check and advise.

37. Sanjana Shenoy
    Sanjana - Dietitian October 7, 2009 at 12:42 pm #

No, lauki juice will not help in this condition.

38. Sanjana Shenoy
    Sanjana - Dietitian October 7, 2009 at 12:44 pm #

Yes, it will still be raw. But if you blenderize it, then it will be better.

39. T.S.SUNDARAM October 7, 2009 at 1:24 pm #

Madam,

I had written to you about Sprouts some days ago, but no reply so far. Kindly oblige me with your valuable advice. This old man of the age of 84 is waiting for your valuable reply.

40. dinesh October 7, 2009 at 8:05 pm #

CAN U SUGGEST ME ANY OTHER GOOD HOME REMEDIES FOR THIS PROBLEM

41. Sanjana Shenoy
    Sanjana - Dietitian October 12, 2009 at 10:53 am #

Sorry for the delay in reply. I was so held up at work that I had to take a break from my site work.

I am personally do not advise you to drink the soaked water as it may contain contaminants such as eggs of worms, bacteria etc. Being in the geriatric ages, one has to be careful by not contracting any infections. So I suggest you avoid it.

But you can get better nutrients, by cooking the sprouts with mild spices and extracting the soup out of it which is much more nutritious than soaked sprouts. Try this and let me know.

42. Sanjana Shenoy
    Sanjana - Dietitian October 12, 2009 at 10:55 am #

I do not have any remedies with me but if I do find out, I will let you know.

43. Sanjana Shenoy
    Sanjana - Dietitian October 12, 2009 at 10:57 am #

Lets hope so too.

44. T.S.SUNDARAM. October 15, 2009 at 8:04 pm #

I have put a stop to drinking the water in which Moong seeds etc,. are soaked for sprouting them as advised by Sanjana. In fact, I have also immediately stopped eating Raw groundnut seeds, I repeat, Raw ground nut seeds, my favourite, which are normally fumigated to ward off insects,pests etc.to preserve them for long. Thanks to Sanjana’s advice.

45. dinesh October 16, 2009 at 9:45 am #

thanx a lot

46. milind birari October 26, 2009 at 2:18 pm #

Dear Sanjana,

My height is 5.5 feet & weight is 80 kg.
    i have reduced my weight by 6 kgs & was 74 kgs between august 2008 to feb’2009 as i was doing jym since last 2008 year(1 year)
    but after there was a gap about 8 months & i ve started again the gym from this month(oct.) now my weight is 80 kg.
    my daily food as follows..
    1. every day – LAUKI jUICE 1 GLASS EMPTY STOMACH
    2. BREAKFAST AT 9.30 A.M.
    POHE/CHAPATI-BHAJI/SWEET
    CORN/MAGGIE/BOILED EGG/BROWN BREAD ETC.
    3. LUNCH AT 2.00 PM
    ONLY 2 CHAPATIS WITH VEGGIES
    4. DINNER AT 9.00 PM
    RICE/KHICHADI/KADHI/DAAL
    OR SOMETIMES 3 CHAPATIS WITH VEGGIES.

CAN U PLEASE TELL ME HOW I SHOULD DO THE DIET & HOW I CAN REDUCE THE WEIGHT ??

I WANT TO REDUCE THE WEIGHT BY 10-12 KGS.
    PLEASE GUIDE ME.

47. T.S.SUNDARAM. October 26, 2009 at 9:36 pm #

As the white gourd has a very low carbohydrates content in it, it can be freely consumed by even diabetic patients. Boiled white gourd eliminates constipation and reduces blood-acidity.

48. T.S.SUNDARAM. October 26, 2009 at 9:41 pm #

Water content in White Gourd is 96.3% and Carbohydrates 2.9%. Iron content is around 0.7mg/100gm.

49. Geetha November 4, 2009 at 6:54 pm #

Hi,

I’m overweight by 10kgs. I’ve started having veggie soup in the afternoons without any lunch. The soup has a lot of bottle gourd also. My dinner is normal 2 chapatties with vege.

PLease suggest as to how I can lose my weight fast.

Thanks

50. T.S.SUNDARAM. November 5, 2009 at 2:38 pm #

Geetha,

Immediately on reading your mail, what comes to my mind is that for reducing weight you should start doing some physical exercises or practicing Yoga from a good yoga teacher.Yoga is for both sexes. Yoga as you might know, is a part of Indian tradition. It is a very effective way of losing weight. Practicing the same is like getting the dual benefit from the same exercise the weight loss and secondly, a perfect toned up body. Practicing Surya mamaskar 10 times a day to be started in a gradual manner depending on the body pain you get,will also be effective. Surya namaslkar increases the perspiration rate of an individual leading to increased metabolic rate and thus adding to burning fat.

There is no cut and dried method to reduce weight.One has to put some efforts. Skipping food during breakfast or lunch is not a solution. Keep always in mind the old Manthra “Eat Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince and Dinner like a Pauper and start with some yoga or surya namaskar or other exercises.

Before starting anything,do consult your family physician for doing exercises.

Wish you good luck.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Current Question at the forums :Is lauki juice useful for controlling High Blood Pressure? | Nutrihealth - Your Daily Diet Gyaan - October 23, 2008

[...] Have a Question regarding your Diet? Want to Gain/lose weight? Ask Sanjana View Similar Posts Bottle gourd- Guard against diseases [...]

2. Healthy Bottle gourd Juice | Nutrihealth - Your Daily Diet Gyaan - June 28, 2010

[...] calories and is ideal if you are watching your weight. You can read a more previous articles on bottle gourd here. Now lets catch up with the [...]

3. Bottle gourd (Lauki, Doodhi) curry « One Life to Eat - July 28, 2010

[...] Indian desserts such as Halwa and Falooda. The vegetable has several health benefits. I found this great article that details them. Bottle Gourd or Calabash. Photo credit: [...]

4. Healthy Drinks « TRUTH OF LIFE - August 11, 2010