Heart burn acidity,Gastric reflux are very common problems which all of us have to face some time or the other. There are two solutions to the problem which are, one instant cure and the other a long term one. Curing it altogether falls in the second category.
How does acidity happen?
There are many reasons for acidity, one such as the presence of helicobacter pylorus,high hydrochloric acid levels in the stomach, functional problems with the stomach valve ( which puts a lid on the contents when the food is churned), too much of fried food,and eating a big meal and sleeping are related to acidity.
The Instant Solution for acidity
Eat a chilled banana,drink bael juice, chilled curds, (though in the long run dairy is linked to causing acidity i.e lactose intolerance) Chilled Sabudana kheer, if nothing is available drink lots of water.
The Long term solution for acidity
The following few steps are sure to give you some relief from acidity
- Begin the day with half a cup cabbage juice (Ayurveda endorses it besides many naturalists) or white petha juice . They lower the acid content.
- Drink minimum of 3 glasses of water in the morning and follow up with a biscuit and a very light tea (with milk added if required). Try to avoid tea.
- If you are not used to a breakfast , start with a fruit like banana or a papaya.
- Acidity gets worse with an empty stomach.
- Acidity is frequently caused by dairy products. so give up dairy procucts for a week. and see the effect. ( not completely recommended )
- Have rice instead of wheat for a week and see if the acidity comes down. Instead of rice ,one can have dosa, idli without sambhar , poha or rice noodles with Less of oil.
- Avoid fried food for aweek and instead munch rice and chana roasted together with very little oil for taste and curry patta, add a little salt to taste.
- Avoid cauliflower,rajmah,heavy dals as it brings up gas with acidity.