Organic foods are everywhere. Organic cereals, flours, rice, dal, spices, vegetables and fruits are getting special attention in major Indian stores, generating interest among consumers and slowly but surely, gaining acceptance among the health conscious.
Organic food differs from conventionally produced food in the way it is grown, handled, and processed. In simple terms, organic foods are produced without any chemical fertilizers and pesticides. They are not subjected to food irradiation and do not use genetic modifications. Organic Meat, Poultry, Eggs, and diary products comes from animals that are given no antibiotics or growth hormones.
Science gives many reasons for going organic:
- For taste: Organic produce simply tastes so much better. Fruits and vegetables are full of juice and flavor.
- For greater nutrition: Fresh organic produce is more nutritious containing about 50 percent more vitamins, Minerals and antioxidants. organic foods have higher content of vitamin A. B-complex and C. Which are vitally necessary for the body to withstand the onslaught of chemical toxins.
- For better health: Organic foods are not covered in a cocktail of poisonous chemicals from chemical fertilizers. They also do not contain antibiotics, growth promoting and anti-parasite drugs conventionally fed to dairy cows and farm animals.
- For safety of mankind: Organic food production is safer for farmers, home gardeners and their families. It can protect 25 million agricultural workers in the Asian region from unintentional poisoning each year.
- For preserving Nature: Organic farms support and nurture our beautiful and diverse wildlife. They reduce soil erosion and may save near extinct species of insects, birds and animals.