The latest addition to my vegetable section in my refrigerator is bok choy. I just could not resist the vibrant green color and I had to try it out. Although it is part of the chinese cuisine, it can still be used in Indian cooking and has lot of health benefits.
It belongs to the cabbage family. It is ideal to be added in stir fries and soups. Last but not the least, it is widely known for its health benefits.
So lets have a look at the health benefits this dynamo provides
- Bok Choy is very low in calories and hence can be a part of a low calorie diet. It hardly gives 10-15kcal for 100gms. Hence ideal for weight loss.
- Bok Choy is rich in fiber which is an essential nutrient in the diet, known to clear the digestive system and is very filling because of its fiber content.
- Bok Choy Helps to keep the blood pressure in check, as it is rich in potassium and calcium.
- Bok Choy is rich in antioxidants such as carotenoids, hence prevents cancers and cataracts.
- Bok Choy is Rich in folate, thereby prevents anemia and is ideal for the pregnant woman in the first trimester to prevent neural tube defects in the foetus.
- Bok Choy As it is naturally rich in vitamin C, it helps in the absorption of elemental iron present in bok choy.
- Bok Choy Helps in strengthening the immune system and protects against diseases and infections.
- Bok Choy Helps to strengthen the bones as it is rich in calcium, phosphorus and vitamin K.
We can say that bok choy is a cornucopia of vitamins and minerals and is absolutely great to be included in the diet. Go ahead and try it out.