A common vegetable in the indian kitchen is bitter gourd. It belongs to the same family as that of bottle gourd. Just like bottle gourd,it is low in calories and high in fiber.
It contains beta carotene, a precursor to form vitamin A< , hence can provide vitamin A. It is rich in vitamin B1, B2, B3 and folic acid as well as minerals like copper, phosphorous, magnesium and is also high in potassium etc. Although bitter in taste, it can be overlooked for its various health benefits.
- It is effective in controlling high blood sugars in diabetes because of the fiber content.
- In alcoholism, the commonly seen deficiencies are of B group vitamins. Commonly seen symptoms are redness of the tongue, skin being flaky and dry etc. These symptoms can be overcome by daily including this vegetable in your diet.
- Works as a good laxative and is effective in treating constipation.
- As it is high in vitamins and minerals, it can improve the metabolism of various nutrients like carbohydrates.
- It is very low in carbohydrates, hence can be included in the diets of people who need to follow a carbohydrate restricted diet such as in diabetes and polycystic ovarian diseases. Hence is a very good vegetable to be served with cereals.
- It is also said to improve the immunity, hence can help to prevent common colds and fevers.
Include this vegetable regularly in your diet to reap its benefits.