Muscle gain is always synonymous with protein intake. The supplement market has cashed on this and have developed a string of protein supplements and brands. One of these supplements are Whey protein supplements,which have gained a lot of importance, one for being the most pure protein supplements available.
Whey has been isolated from milk from which three forms have been generated such as
- Whey protein isolate- This is the purest form and is easiest to digest and has over 100% availability to the body but is very expensive.
- Whey protein concentrate- This has fats and lactose ie milk sugar and least expensive.
- Whey protein blends- It has both isolates and concentrates and moderately priced.
Whey protein isolates and blends are most commonly.
Benefits of whey protein
- Aids in weight loss
- Helps in gaining lean muscle
- Improves immunity
- Fuels your workout
- Improves your metabolic rate
Who should use Whey Protein?
All athletes, those who work out regularly and men and women alike can use it. Firstly, check with a dietitian who can advise you on your protein intake as you should not go over board with protein as it can have detrimental effects.
For body builders and athletes, over 2 scoops can be taken which gives about 48grams of proteins. (1 scoop gives 24g of protein) but for those who are on weight loss plans, regular fitness plans etc can have it post weight training or as meal replacement as one scoop with plain water provides 130Kcal.
Adding fruits, coconut water, black coffee, skimmed milk, nut butters can make yummy smoothies. My personal favorites are banana with chocolate flavored whey and strawberries with vanilla flavors.
Who should avoid whey protein?
- Those with kidney or liver problems.
- Lactose intolerant people
Watch out for artificial sweeteners or excessively added sugars too as this can pack on calories. But remember that whey protein is a supplement not the only source of protein. Eat other sources of protein to meet your requirements too.
Make way for whey and get its benefits for attaining a healthy body and better life style.